Coronavirus (COVID-19) Resources for Government Agencies
The coronavirus outbreak is first and foremost a global tragedy with millions of people directly impacted in some manner. While this crisis has upended nearly every aspect of our lives, Bronner Group is proud to work alongside our clients and partners to meet this challenge head-on.
This list of resources is intended to provide government agencies and their leaders with insight on the evolving situation and implications for their organizations. Given the fast-moving nature of this outbreak, Bronner Group will update this listing regularly to continue to provide timely information.
(Last updated May 11, 2021)
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Public Health
- Emergency Management
- State and Local Government
- Government Finance and Administration
- Information Technology
- Public Housing
- Reopening and Recovery Resources
- CDC – https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s overview of the COVID-19 virus, with links that provide information regarding protective measures people can utilize to avoid falling ill, COVID-19 symptoms, what to do if a person falls ill, and statistics on the coronavirus’s spread in the U.S.
- Coronavirus.gov – https://www.coronavirus.gov/
- This resource, administered by the White House, the CDC, and Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), is dedicated to answering questions related to COVID-19. It provides information about how people can prepare and protect themselves, actions people should take if they think they are sick, and general statistics on the spread of cases of coronavirus in the U.S.
- HHS – https://www.phe.gov/emergency/events/COVID19/Pages/default.aspx
- The Public Health Emergency website, administered by Health and Human Services (HHS), provides updates on potential and current threats to public health. The link provides coverage on the COVID-19 virus, with information relating to efforts to treat and study the virus, the strategic national stockpile, and regularly updated news and highlights.
- NIH – https://www.nih.gov/health-information/coronavirus
- This page is from the National Institutes of Health and provides various resources and news updates relating to COVID-19. Links include strategies to limit the spread of COVID-19, information on coronaviruses in general, clinical trials, and guidance from the federal government.
- Johns Hopkins Tracker – https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/
- Maintained and updated daily by experts in public health, infectious disease, and emergency preparedness from the Johns Hopkins University, this COVID-19 Data Center provides the ability to track global cases and trends related to COVID-19.
- USA.gov/coronavirus – https://www.usa.gov/coronavirus
- The Federal Government’s dedicated website to tracking the Whole-of-Government response efforts to COVID-19. This is a one-stop tool to find links to responding federal agency resources and updates from all sectors of the federal government.
- FEMA – https://www.fema.gov/coronavirus
- The Federal Emergency Management Agency is the lead federal agency for operational coordination of the COVID-19 pandemic emergency response. FEMA’s coronavirus resource page includes news releases, rumor control and public information resources, and media coverage of the COVID-19 response.
- FEMA Public Assistance (PA)–https://www.fema.gov/news-release/2020/03/23/coronavirus-covid-19-pandemic-public-assistance-simplified-application
- This FEMA fact sheet outlines eligible expenses under its Public Assistance Process.
- Local government officials can apply for FEMA PA relief at the PA Grants Portal
- FEMA Disaster Financial Management Guide – https://www.fema.gov/media-library/assets/documents/187126
- This FEMA guide for state, local, tribal, and territorial governments provides a comprehensive overview of disaster financial management principles, tools and resources.
- FEMA PDAT Resources when Procuring with Federal Grant Funds – https://www.fema.gov/procurement-disaster-assistance-team
- FEMA’s Procurement Disaster Assistance Team has compiled resources to help governments avoid common mistakes when using federal disaster grant funds.
- FEMA Coronavirus Emergency Management Best Practices – https://www.fema.gov/coronavirus/best-practices
- FEMA’s compilation of best practices and lessons learned that communities have already faced fighting COVID-19.
- State Emergency Management Agencies – https://www.fema.gov/emergency-management-agencies
- FEMAs List of all State Emergency Management Agencies with office location, website, and contact information included.
- Homeland Security Digital Library from NPS CHDS – https://www.hsdl.org/c/
- The Naval Postgraduate School’s Center for Defense and Homeland Security maintains a public collection in its Homeland Security Digital Library, where COVID-19 related information is stored.
- IAEM – https://www.iaem.org/resources/COVID-19
- International Association of Emergency Managers global COVID-19 resource repository. Includes resources from the IAEM and partners in the emergency management industry, such as webinars, public program guides, and news.
State and Local Government
- NGA – https://www.nga.org/coronavirus/
- The National Governors Association maintains a regularly updated COVID-19 resource center tracking state government actions, NGA resources, and includes links to all state/territorial resource pages for COVID-19.
- CSG – https://web.csg.org/covid19/
- The Council of State Governments maintains a regularly updated collection of resources for state governments, including state executive orders, state legislative and judicial activity, election information, and COVID-19 case tracking.
- NASCA – https://www.nasca.org/covid-19-resources
- The National Association of State Chief Administrators has a resource center for governments on workforce, facilities, IT, budget, procurement, and risk management topics to assist in COVID-19 response efforts.
- NACO – https://www.naco.org/resources/featured/coronavirus-disease-2019
- The National Association of Counties hosts the County Response Efforts and Priorities web-page to highlight actions county governments have taken, policy resources, emergency declarations, and county news. NACO also publishes articles on the CARES Act, stay at home orders, and key issues for counties.
- NLC – https://covid19.nlc.org/
- The National League of Cities COVID-19 resource page provides local governments with resources broken out by topic or level of government, including NLC published materials on local best practices.
- The NLC and Bloomberg Local Action Tracker shows local government responses from most cities in the US and is updated regularly.
- ICMA – https://icma.org/coronavirus-crisis-response-resources-your-community
- The International City/County Management Association has a regularly updated COVID-19 local government news page, as well as resources and webinars on local government management during the pandemic.
- US Conference of Mayors – https://www.usmayors.org/issues/covid-19/
- The US Conference of Mayors maintains multiple resources for city leaders, including CARES Act analysis, Fiscal Tracking and Federal Reimbursement Initiative, Supplies for Cities, and Mayors Business Council Action Tracker.
Government Finance and Administration
- GFOA – https://www.gfoa.org/gfoa-resource-center-coronavirus-response
- The Government Finance Officers Association has compiled two resources for the public sector to respond to and recover from COVID-19. The first is the Coronavirus Response Resource Center for government finance officials, and the second is a fiscal first aid guide to help local governments address decreasing revenues and increasing expenditures, among other fiscal and economic issues.
- NASACT – https://www.nasact.org/article_content.asp?edition=3%C2%A7ion=1&article=122#
- The National Association of State Auditors, Comptrollers, and Treasurers have compiled resources for state finance officials including CARES Act information and information from NASACT partners.
- NASBO – https://www.nasbo.org/mainsite/resources/coronavirus-resources
- The National Association of State Budget Officers maintains a COVID-19 trends and resources page including a list of state COVID-19 websites, fiscal implications of the pandemic, and press clips.
- NASPO – https://www.naspo.org/covid-19-resources
- The National Association of State Purchasing Officials has compiled procurement related resources for state and local officials to guide them through emergency procurement and related topics.
- NIGP – https://www.nigp.org/home/your-learning-journey/education/covid-19-resources
- The Institute for Public Procurement maintains a COVID-19 procurement resource page and also provides webinars on relevant topics for public procurement officials during the pandemic.
- Institute of Internal Auditors – https://na.theiia.org/Pages/Updates.aspx
- The IIA hosts a COVID-19 resource exchange and newswire for internal audit professionals.
- SHRM – https://www.shrm.org/ResourcesAndTools/Pages/communicable-diseases.aspx
- Society for Human Resource Management has resources for HR managers and administrative officials managing workforce and labor challenges during COVID-19.
- NASCIO – https://www.nascio.org/covid19resources/
- The National Association of State Chief Information Officers provides resources for state IT and IS departments. Topics include cybersecurity, remote work, business continuity, and IT infrastructure.
- CISA – https://www.cisa.gov/coronavirus
- The Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency, within the US Department of Homeland Security, provides guidance and resources related to securing critical IT infrastructure and enhancing cybersecurity measures during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- CISA and UK’s National Cyber Security Centre issued a joint advisory showing that cyber criminals and advanced persistent threat groups are targeting individuals and organizations with COVID-19 related malware and ransomware. 4/8/2020
- CISA Guidance on Identifying Critical Infrastructure During COVID-19 provides context-specific information on the 16 critical infrastructure sectors. 4/17/2020
- NIST – https://csrc.nist.gov/publications/detail/sp/800-46/rev-2/final
- National Institute of Standards and Technology report, Guide to Enterprise Telework, Remote Access, and Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) Security, 2016
- HUD / Coronavirus – https://www.hud.gov/coronavirus
- The Department of Housing and Urban Development provides links to the President’s response and guidelines to COVID-19, messages from federal departments and officials, and helpful guides to individuals within the public housing field.
- HUD has a dedicated Coronavirus Resource page for Public Housing Agencies.
- The CDC has Guidance for Shared or Congregate Housing
- PIH Notices – https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/public_indian_housing/publications/notices
- The Department of Housing and Urban Development details information on Public and Indian Housing notices which provide guidance, extensions, instructions, clarifications, announcements and other policy information.
- NAA – https://www.naahq.org/coronavirus-guidance
- The National Apartment Association Coronavirus Resources and Guidance page includes operational best practices, regulatory and legal information, economic impact reports, and regular news updates and webinar opportunities.
- IREM – https://www.irem.org/learning/coronavirus
- The Institute of Real Estate Managers has published a Coronavirus resource and information page for property managers to respond to COVID-19.
- See the Pandemic Guide for Real Estate Managers, March 2020
- NAHRO – http://www.nahro.org/coronavirus
- The National Association of Housing and Redevelopment Officials has created a list of resources for housing authorities regarding COVID-19 and how to keep communities safe.
- CLPHA – https://clpha.org/covid19
- The Council of Large Public Housing Authorities maintains a COVID-19 resource page for public housing industry stakeholders, with information from CLPHA, HUD, and other housing industry groups.
- PHADA – https://www.phada.org/Home/COVID-19-Resource-Page
- The Public Housing Authorities Directors Association hosts a COVID-19 resources and news page for public housing leaders and their staff.
- ECP – https://www.enterprisecommunity.org/news-and-events/news-releases/covid-19-our-response-latest-updates
- Enterprise Community Partners have shared their response to COVID-19, along with up-to-date information on federal, state, and local policy regarding the virus. They are also offering links to their free webinars on COVID-19 and affordable housing.
- NLIHC Disaster Housing Recovery Coalition https://nlihc.org/coronavirus-and-housing-homelessness
- The National Low Income Housing Coalition provides state and local news by state on the virus, federal guidance, national updates, congressional recommendations, and webinars to fully equip people with information.
- NLIHC FEMA Public Assistance – https://nlihc.org/sites/default/files/Category-FEMA-Public-Assistance-COVID-19-Crisis.pdf
- This flyer created by The National Low Income Housing Coalition details the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s Public Assistance Grant Program and answers questions related to receiving it.
- NMHC – https://www.nmhc.org/research-insight/Research-Insight-Knowledge-Library/covid-19-hub/
- The National Multifamily Housing Council has created a hub of information regarding COVID-19 that covers news, resources, tools for communicating with residents, webinars, and advocacy and policy.
- DoEd – https://www.ed.gov/coronavirus
- The Department of Education shares information and resources for schools and school personnel with the goal of helping disseminate critical information about the disease and its potential transmission to students, families, staff, and the community. Resources span across elementary schools, secondary schools, and higher education institutions.
- Education Week– https://www.edweek.org/ew/collections/coronavirus-and-schools/index.html
- Education Week provides the most relevant news, information, and resources on how schools across the nation are being impacted by COVID-19.
- CGCS – https://www.cgcs.org/Page/1024
- The Council of Great City Schools, provides various resources and news updates that include federal agency information, school district websites on the coronavirus from across the country, and council information related to COVID-19.
- AASHTO – https://www.transportation.org/home/covid19/
- American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials resources associated with coronavirus
- APTA – https://www.apta.com/news-publications/press-releases/releases/american-rescue-plan-act-provides-critical-and-vital-boost-to-public-transportation-industry/
- American Rescue Plan Act Provides Critical and Vital Boost to Public Transportation Industry, the Act provides $30.5 billion of COVID-19 emergency public transit funding
- FTA – https://www.transit.dot.gov/coronavirus
- FTA coronavirus landing page with links to other federal resources
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Recovery Resources for Government Agencies
This list of resources is intended to provide government agencies and their leaders with insight specifically associated with the CARES Act and government plans to transition to recovery and the reopening of communities.
- White House Guidelines for Re-Opening America – https://www.whitehouse.gov/openingamerica/
- The White House Coronavirus Task Force Guidelines for Reopening America with a three-phased approach based on testing and tracing.
- US Department of Treasury – CARES Act for State and Local Government – https://home.treasury.gov/policy-issues/cares/state-and-local-governments
- The CARES Act included a $150 billion Coronavirus Relief Fund for State and Local Governments. Treasury maintains a portal and information page for governments to apply for funds and get up to date information.
- See Treasury’s guidance on eligible uses of CARES Act Coronavirus Relief Fund money.
- Council of State Governments – https://web.csg.org/covid19/state-reopen-plans/
- The Council continues to compile plans to reopen communities by state as well as a summary of executive orders issued by governors across a rangeof categories and topical areas.
- CBPP – https://www.cbpp.org/research/resource-lists/covid-19-responding-to-the-health-and-economic-crisis
- COVID-19: Responding to the Health and Economic Crisis. See the CBPP COVID-19 Response Resource list
- Coronavirus Relief Fund / state implications – https://www.ncsl.org/ncsl-in-dc/publications-and-resources/coronavirus-stimulus-bill-states.aspx
- The National Conference of State Legislatures analysis of the CARES Act implications for state governments, including analysis of direct funding provisions, health related provisions, and every other aspect of the Act that impacts states.
- CBPP – How Much Will States Receive Through the Education Stabilization Fund? https://www.cbpp.org/research/state-budget-and-tax/how-much-will-states-receive-through-the-education-stabilization-fund
- The Center on Budget and Policy Priorities published an analysis of the $30.75 billion K-12 and higher ed. Education Stabilization Fund, including a state by state estimated allocation.
- HBR – Healthy Office Buildings – https://hbr.org/2020/04/what-makes-an-office-building-healthy
- The Harvard Business Review has posted an article about “What Makes a Healthy Office Building” with insights regarding how to minimize risk in the workplace and useful health performance indicators to monitor indoor environmental quality.
- Business Insider – https://www.businessinsider.com/going-back-to-work-office-design-coronavirus-2020-5
- This article provides a comprehensive overview of how employers are making physical improvements and other changes to minimize the spread of COVID-19 in the workplace.
- SBA Paycheck Protection Program – https://www.sba.gov/funding-programs/loans/covid-19-relief-options/paycheck-protection-program
- Small Business Administration oversees the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) which is a loan that helps small businesses keep their workforce employed during the Coronavirus (COVID-19) crisis.
Additional recovery information can be found at the government and association websites cited above.
Photo from the Center for Disease Control, US Government